Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:46:37 +0300
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, buildadm@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FTP and command-line multiple downloads

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 03:37:49PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 03:34:06PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Since upgrading bento to running 5.0, it appears that I can no longer
> > download multiple files from a FTP server by specifying a glob pattern
> > on the command-line:
> >
> > e.g.
> >
> > /usr/bin/ftp -4a ftp://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/alpha/5-LATEST/base/base.\?\?
>
> This appears to work (as it used to) under 4.x.

As far as I can see, this is a client-side problem of CURRENT's
ftp(1).  FreeBSD ftp(1) was completely replaced with "lukemftp,"
ftp client from NetBSD, in CURRENT a year ago.  The commit message
was promising:

	...Lukemftp supports most of the previous features of FreeBSD
	ftp, but has been better maintained and includes new features.

Unfortunately, this particular feature doesn't fall into that most;
"lukemftp" can't seem to detect a glob pattern on the command line.

It is said that lukem@netbsd is very responsive, so the matter depends
on finding somebody to make a patch and sumbit it to him, and waiting
until the patch is merged back to our src/contrib/ along with other
"lukemftp" updates.

If the advocates of "lukemftp" don't do the job, I think I will do it
by myself since I've already volunteered to look after ftpd(8).

--
Yar