Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 21:04:21 -0400
From:      Charles Martin <martin@chasm.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware and rtc issues

I have installed the rtc and vmware ports.  I get the following on boot:

link_elf: symbol linux_ioctl_register_handler undefined
kldload: can't load /usr/local/modules/rtc.ko: Exec format error

Looking through the messages, I find the suggestion that the rtc port needs

#ifdef MODULE_DEPEND
MODULE_DEPEND(rtc, linux, 1, 1, 1)
#endif

in rtc.c... checking the port distribution, I find that rtc.c DOES have
this code; yet I still get the error.  Am I supposed to manually pass
-DMODULE_DEPEND to the make?  Or is there something else wrong here?

Despite this, vmware does run, though it warns me that RTC is not loaded so
my Win 98 timing will be off.  My difficulty with vmware is that I, too,
seem to be unable the get a working configuration.  Is there some way that
I am able to specify that my vmware disk should be ad0s1?  (That is where
my C: drive is located.)  In the configuration editor I am unable to select
any other option than "Virtual Disk"; from some of these messages, I take
it "Raw Disk" is what I am looking for?

Or is vmware able to run an existing partition at all?  Am I going to have
to reinstall Windows on the virtual disk?

Oh yeah, it doesn't like my /dev/sysmouse either.

Any help appreciated.