Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:57:51 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports vs. Source updating

Hi,

Thanks to Michael for bringing up this thing _again_:

>   Can I have him update his ports tree without bringing the system up to
> stable?

It seems we're being silly against with the PORTMKVERSION thing.  We
really should support at least the last release, and possibly the last
two releases.  I have previously offered to produce patches, but the
offer was refused.

>   Anyhow, I'm just hoping that someone can help clarify this for me so I can
> make introducing FreeBSD to a new user as painless as possible.

This has quickly become my number one local support issue, and the
number of times I've seen this on the lists now indicate it's quickly
becoming a FAQ.

Can we please rethink this behaviour?

Thanks,

Neil