Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 13:56:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Mehran <mehran@gci.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: After installation freeBSD won't run

Hi Mehran,

[please wrap your lines to about 80 columns or so...]

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Mehran wrote:

> I have installed freeBSD 4.0 from CD (BSD power pack)  8 or 9
> times so far. Each time the installation goes fine, but when the
> system boots for the first time, it gives me an error message:
>
> " Preparing machine to load FreeBSD/386
> Read error"
>
>  and thats all I get. I have dedicated whole hard drive to
> freebsd. It seems its looking for something in drive "A". I am
> using bootmagic, since I have Win 98 in another hard drive.

If you want FreeBSD to work with other operating systems, you can't
"dedicate the whole disk" to FreeBSD (there is a warning during
installation about this.)

The best thing for you to do is to partition the FreeBSD drive with 1
or 2 FreeBSD partitions (so that a valid partition table is written in
the MBR).  This way, bootmagic will know where to look on your hard
drive for the FreeBSD partition.

For more information see:

   http://www.FreeBSD.org/tutorials/multi-os/

-Paul.