Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 00:48:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, nms@otdel-1.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there spinlocks/semaphores available for drivers?

:
:> In message <200003270639.WAA05313@mass.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
:> : What about it in particular?  Or are you referring to overflow handling?
:>
:> Yes.  Well, I guess I assumed it was a circular thing, and you'd need
:> to have some comparison against read index, which would be racible.
:
:Not if you think about it; all you need are atomic read/write operations
:for the indexes.  Circular FIFOs are kinda neat like that. 8)
:
:--
:\\ Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. \\  Mike Smith

    Well, monotonically increasing (except when it wraps), and atomic
    writes.  Atomic read-modify-writes are not required which means that
    no locking is needed at all, not even a 'lock' prefix (though on some
    architectures you have to worry about delayed commits between cpu's).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>