Date:      Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:18:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS issues

On 07-Jan-99 Ville-Pertti Keinonen wrote:

> That's when everything is working right.
>
> If all of the mirror sites are basically independent, there's no way
> to know for sure that all of the mirror sites are working properly,
> one of them may even be several days behind, for whatever reason (like
> broken networks isolating it from freefall).
>
> I would prefer to know that when I run cvsup, I'm going to get a newer
> version of the FreeBSD repository, not an older one.

I have to admit, you've got a point.  I can see how to enhance CVSup
to guard against that problem.  But it would require a new version of
CVSup, of course.  Maybe the round-robin DNS idea should wait until
that's available.

> When using a specific mirror, something has to get *really* screwed
> up for that to happen.

Right.  The mirror maintainer would really have to make an effort to
screw things up that badly. :-)

> At the very least, problems with one mirror could cause significant
> increases in traffic on all mirrors.

I'm not too worried about that, since it happens anyway (manually).
Also, all the mirrors can and do limit their traffic by means of the
cvsupd.access file.

Thanks for your comments.

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken