Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 02:45:10 -0400
From:      raviprasad20@netscape.net
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   size of data to ip layer from tcp layer

Hi,
This is regarding the size of data from TCP/UDP layer to the ip layer. The number of bytes sent from tcp layer to ip layer to send depends on the tcp MSS (maxium segment size).For an ethernet this size is 1460 bytes.

Based on the above  my understanding is this.

a) Since MSS is 1460 bytes the maximum number of bytes sent from TCP to ip    layer cannot exceed this value.
b) The maximum sized packet that can be received by ip layer from ethernet    device is 1460 bytes.
c) In case the packet is fragmented at the sending end, at the receiving      after reassembly the maximum packet size cannot exceed 1460 bytes.

Please mail me if my understanding is correct.
Also whether for ipv6 there is any change.

regards
ravi prasad