Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2019 20:39:21 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Subject:   Re: latex on fbsd

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 08:58:29 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
> On 4/16/19 5:27 AM, Polytropon wrote:
>
> > Depending on the kind and scope of your work, using "plain
> > LaTeX" with your editor of choice, and then simply running
> > the command "pdflatex filename.tex", could be the easiest
> > thing - less overhead, less distraction, less stuff to manually
> > adjust in the GUI. (I'm saying this as a person who does
> > 99 % of all paperwork in "plain LaTeX", with the special
> > case where LaTeX is generated automatically from special
> > tools.)
>
> Thanks, pdflatex is what I needed to know.
>
> > On the other hand, starting LaTeX with a WYSIWYG environment
> > is nothing bad, as long as you don't look into the horror markup
> > it often tends to generate... ;-)
>
> Thanks for the heads-up; will check that.
> For what I'm doing I should only be adding / modifying text, so no
> additional markup.  If the tool doesn't transform existing stuff it
> might work.

In this case, I'd think that using a GUI (and configuring it
to do what you need it to do) is too much work. You should be
able to use your favorite editor together with the command line
tools provided from the TeXlive default installation. There is
no need to make things more complicated. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany