Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:05:22 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mounting NTFS

* simond@irrelevant.org <simond@irrelevant.org> [20010116 20:20]: writing on the subject 'Re: mounting NTFS'
simond> On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 11:04:32AM -0600, Zaitsau, Andrei wrote:
simond> > Okay, thanks for all your help.
simond> > But still I did not get something.
simond> > How come FreeBSD see my Hard Drive as 'wd0' and at the same time 'ad0' (in
simond> > dmesg or fdisk)
simond> > Is it some kind of kernel issue? Can someone explain it to me please?
simond> > Let's say I have Hard drive with 2 partitions on it
simond> > First partition is FreeBSD (active)
simond> > Second one is NTFS (win2k)
simond> > So it looks like
simond> > ad0s1 is FreeBSD
simond> > ad1s1 is NTFS ?
simond> > Am I right or wrong ? does ad?(0 or 1) means partition number, and ad(?)s*
simond> > means slice on that partition (like ad0s1a, 1a is a slice on a partition 0
simond> > ?)
simond> > Please help me out with understanding this :)
simond>
simond> wd is the old IDE drivers which is mostly superceded by the ad drivers.
simond>
simond> ad0 is disk 0, ad1 is disk 1, ad0s1 is disk 0 partition 1, ad0s2 is partition
simond> 2, ad0s5 is extended partition 1, etc
simond>
simond> HTH
simond>
simond> --
simond> Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org
simond>
simond>
simond> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
simond> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Our friend did not mention what version of FreeBSD he's running.
Or did I miss it?

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

To fly, we have to have resistance. -Maya Lin