Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:03:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        grady@xcf.berkeley.edu (Steven Grady)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM problem on 3.0: Invalid argument?

Steven Grady wrote...
> (Sorry about not using send-pr, but installing GNATS on my machine
> for non-FreeBSD purposes seems to have screwed up send-pr.)

You can also submit bug reports here:

http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html

> I'm trying to rip my CDs.  The program I'm using to get the header info
> (to query CDDB) works the first n times I run it (where n >= 1),
> but at some point the open fails with "Invalid argument".  It works again the
> next time I reboot.  Sounds like a bug to me.  Anyone have a clue?
>
> The program (courtesy of Daniel O'Connor, doconnor@gsoft.com.au), is the
> following:

[ ... ]

It's hard to say what the problem is.  It sounds like there could be some
sort of race condition, or it could be that your CDROM drive gets kinda
hosed eventually.

There are a couple of things you can try to diagnose the problem.  The
first is to boot with -v, and see if you get any error messages returned
from the CD driver.

The second is to turn on CD debugging for your CDROM drive.  Try this:

camcontrol debug -c 0:2:0

That will tell us what commands are being sent to the drive.  If we can
figure out what the last few commands are, we may be able to figure out why
you're getting EINVAL back.

> My system is 3.0-RELEASE.  Dmesg output follows.  Note that the CD-ROM is
> a Toshiba XM-5401.

[ ... ]

> The output of the program looks like:
>
> 	% cddb-id /dev/cd0a
> 	cddb-id: Failed to open /dev/cd0a, reason: Invalid argument
>
> As stated before, the program works just fine at least once before it gets
> into this state.

I can't reproduce the problem, but then again, I'm not running 3.0-R, and
things have changed somewhat in the CD driver since 3.0.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com