Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 14:56:44 -0700
From:      Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question About Installing FreeBSD

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 01:00:57PM -0700, Raymundo M. Vega wrote:
> Jon Rust wrote:
> >
> > Why people who obviously know nothing of the Mac try to give advice on
> > them is beyond me.
>
> because i know the difference of hardware, software and how it
> is related to an operating system, any operating system.

Apparently not.

> > VirtualPC emulates PC hardware copmletely.
>
> Wrong answer, it emulates "pentium" so you can use *any of 5* operating
> systems *provided in software* seamlessly on a Mac OS computer. see VP3
> specifications.

It emulates a Pentium, yes. It also emulates a sound card, an ethernet
card, the motherboard, serial controllers...

Yes, Connectix sells 5 different flavors of VPC. Users are in no way
limited to those 5 choices though. Win 3.1, Win95/95, Win NT, Win 2000,
BeOS, and more than one Linux. There's been one report of successful
FreeBSD install on VPC2, but I haven't tried it myself. OS/2 has had
success as well. Is that more than 5 yet? No? Okay, I just started the
install for OpenBSD x86. A few apm0 msgs, but working otherwise.

Back to the original poster's question: there doesn't appear to be a way
to boot off a CD with VPC. Furthermore, something in FreeBSD's boot disk
hangs the boot process. So I guess Raymundo's at least patially right in
that FreeBSD and VPC don't play nice together, but it's not for the
reasons he gives.

jon