Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 2009 18:27:00 +0200
From:      Olaf Greve <ogreve@millennics.com>
To:        "freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org" <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Howto do SW RAID?

Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks to the robustness of FreeBSD-AMD64 it's been many
moons since I last found myself in need of help from the pros. :)
However, such a situation has arissen now.

Up until two weeks ago I was happily running the AMD64 version on my
primary server and the i386 version on my secondary machine, with both
of them using Adaptec SCSI hardware RAID arrays. All fine but for a
failed disc in my secondary machine.

Now, it was about time I'd revise the fallback machine anyway, and
last week a server from work was phased out and given to me. :)
Now, unfortunately I have precious little time to wipe the inferior
Debian installation that's currently on it. ;)

Some questions:
1-The BIOS lists it as having a Pentium 4 processor that mentions
being EM64T compatible, so I think the AMD64 version should be the
best choice, right?
2-Unfortunately the drives are not as fancy as my current servers. It
has two SATA 160GB drives, set up in software RAID mode. For now, I
want to set up fbsd in SW RAID mode too (too little time to buy other
drives!). Can anyone explain me briefly how I can set it up?

Tnx in advance and cheers,
Olafo