Date:      Sun, 31 May 2020 16:27:08 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <freebsd@cyclaero.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone AI

> Am 31.05.2020 um 03:31 schrieb John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>:
>=20
> Dr. Rolf Jansen wrote this message on Fri, May 29, 2020 at 23:21 =
-0300:
>> What modern SBC with more than 1 I=C2=B2C bus and which can run =
FreeBSD 13++ would you suggest?
>=20
> I'd look at ARM64 boards.  The life will be longer, and the support
> from the FreeBSD community will likely receive more attention.
>=20
> Many boards have multiple I2C buses...  the Pine A64-LTS has a couple
> I2C buses, but they are both on ribbon conenctors (TP and CSI)...
>=20
> There is also the Zynq-7000 option, though it's an armv7 cpu..
> I recently brought up the Cora Z7 board...  With the PL (FPGA), you
> can add many more I2C interfaces...  We don't have a driver for
> Xilinx's AXI I2C yet, but with that, (and a bit of block building w/
> Vivado), you could have 10 or 20 I2C buses...
>=20
> Let me know if you'd like more info.

I looked into the specs of all Pine boards, but I could not find any =
hint about a number of additional I=C2=B2C busses beyond the single one =
on the Pi-2 connector.

Like I wrote in a message to Ian, if FreeBSD does keep up the 32bit =
support, 32bit or 64bit is not a matter of concern for me. If Pine =
really got a number of I=C2=B2C busses, then I would like to learn about =
this. However, the LTS part of the Pine A64-LTS is no more that much =
appealing, since it ends in less than 2 years from now. What about the =
Pine Rock64Pro or the Pine H64, do these also offer additional I=C2=B2C =
busses?

Ideal would be a SBC for which the FreeBSD support would be (almost) =
ready to get started now, and this board is either new enough so chances =
are that it is available in the next several years (perhaps the Pine =
RockPro64) or there is a successor for on outdated but perfectly working =
board lurking, for example like BBB -> BBAI. In the latter case the =
expectation would be that I could port FreeBSD to it, perhaps with the =
help, hints, recommendations, etc. of knowledgable people on the =
FreeBSD-ARM list.=20

Thank you very much.

Rolf=