Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:33:25 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        kyphur <kyphur@kyphurland.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 11:39:20PM -0400, kyphur wrote:

First a not: freebsd-arch is a list for architectural issues. You better
send this kind of questions to freebsd-questions.

> I'm a computer arts student and I notice that when I go to look at potential jobs that they look for Unix experienced employees.  I know that Free BSD is a Unix based system but what exactly are the differences?

FreeBSD is based on BSD4.4 which is the UNIX distribution that was
distributed by Berkeley University in Berkeley, California.

There are quite a few (commercial) Unixes out there. But once you know
one in reasonable detail learning to admin. another Unix variant becomes
a relatively easy thing to do. FreeBSD is a good starting point IMHO.

> My question about the architecture is that I run a AMD 900Mhz and I see that it's mainly for Intel archs.  I know that you say it's a x86 architecture and I know that the AMD also supports the x86 arch but have you noticed any problems?

No, AMD works just fine. I've been running AMD based systems for years
now (I'm typing this on an Athlon 700...) and it works like a charm.

> Sorry about all the questions but I'm still learning and I'm really interested in using Unix and/or FreeBSD.
>
> I hope to hear back from you.
>
> Jason Powell
---end of quoted text---