Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:50:22 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   import bawk? Re: NO_AWK

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 09:14:34PM -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> I think this is more of an arch issue.
>
> * Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@atg.aciworldwide.com> [011024 20:53] wrote:
> > NOTE: THIS IS A STRAWMAN PROPOSAL! Take it all with a grain of
> > salt!
>
> > For a long while now I've been running with the bwk version of awk
> > in preference to the GNU gawk shipped in the base OS. Nothing has
> Is bawk a BSD licensed version of awk?  What about replacing gawk with
> bawk?  Any drawbacks?

bawk is license friendly for us.  I've gotten all the gawk'isms out of
our tree and have run bawk as my system awk for a while.  Want me to just
do the vendor import and cut us over?

I have not done this yet, because I know bawk can be slower than gawk and
didn't want to fight that battle.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)