Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 19:44:48 -0500
From:      garman@jason.garman.net (Jason Garman)
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CMD640b ide controller bug workarounds?

Tom Samplonius writes:
>   Considering that a perfectly good, brand new EIDE controller with
> primary and secondary, and dual 16550 UARTs, and printer for $50, why
> bother?

A few reasons:

1.  I'd rather not waste a slot on a card I don't need.  I hardly have
    enough free as it is.
2.  I'd rather not waste $50 on something that's already on my
    motherboard.

I realize that this is a hardware flaw, but the computer manufacturer is
completely unresponsive to any requests (besides this machine is not
under warranty any more anyhow.  If anyone has any suggestions as to how
to deal with the manufacturer, I'd love to hear those too)

Their stock response is to have the OS `vendor' fix the `problem' in their
software.  Sigh.

Btw- an interesting side note... the `checkide' program that intel is
peddling to check the problem freezes my machine.  Heh.  Sad part is that
Intel refuses to even fix their program because my motherboard isn't an
Intel one.

Geeze, I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place here... I would be
_more_ than happy to work with someone on possible solutions and beta-test
kernel patches.

Enjoy,
--
Jason Garman                             http://www.nesc.k12.ar.us/~garman/