Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:38:56 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, mcgovern@spoon.beta.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Constructive criticism (was: bashing everyone for fun and profit)

> Perhaps you should contact Greg Lehey, he wrote a book called:
> "Installing and Running FreeBSD", published by Walnut Creek. The book is 3
> hundered pages long, and came with my 2.1R CD-ROM. If you check out
> http://www.cdrom.com/os/bsdbook.htm you'll notice that it's now called:
> "The Complete FreeBSD". I'm assuming this is an updated version of the
> book I have.

Well, don't forget several things here.

First off, while Greg'd work relies heavily on the Handbook and FAQ
documents, it's still (C) Greg Lehey.  You can't just take sections of
his stuff and put it into a free, online version of the book unless
you're sure it came from some other (C) FreeBSD, Inc. source or you
have Greg's explicit permission.  The Handbook and FAQ documents are
copyrighted by FreeBSD, Inc. and freely redistributable on the same
terms as the source code - you can use it for free or commercial
purposes.  Also, "The Complete FreeBSD" == "Installing and Running FreeBSD"
with printed man pages, that's all. :-)

Would this book be written in SGML and back-portable to the FreeBSD
web page distribution, or what exactly?  If the author finds SGML too
constraining and retreats to HTML or some other format then I
certainly understand and won't gritch about it, I'm just wondering.

						Jordan