Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:25:21 EST
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, cschuber@orca.gov.bc.ca
Subject:   Re: Parity Errors

> FreeBSD can't generate NMI signals; it's your motherboard hardware that's
> doing that.  It wouldn't surprise me if Linux just ignored them 8)

I've seen NMI's come out of motherboards from problems other than
main RAM.  Sometimes noise or other problems can cause NMI's with
poor motherboard designs.  I seem to remember stray DMA requests can
sometimes trigger an NMI.  Has anyone seen parity on the cache?
It's probably not FreeBSD to blame - it is more likely FreeBSD is
revealing a latent weakness in your system.
Does anyone remember if NMI is brought out to the ISA bus?  This
would open up all kinds of possibilities.
When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com