Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:40:17 -0700
From:      "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org>
To:        "'Matthew Seaman'" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Mail(1) breaks when contrib/sendmail is replaced with postfix?

> From: Matthew Seaman [mailto:m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk]=20
>=20
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 12:57:21AM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>=20
> > /usr/bin/mail tries to run /usr/sbin/sendmail directly. =20
> This probably isn't
> > a good idea, since IIRC sendmail can now be package-ized=20
> and removed from
> > the base system as well as excluded from buildworld.  This=20
> is what seems to
> > be breaking the periodic script, since I get this error when running
> > periodic:
>=20
> Piping a message into /usr/sbin/sendmail is the standard Unix API for
> sending e-mail.  You shouldn't remove it just because of the name
> 'sendmail'.
>=20
> Despite the name, that is not the sendmail(8) binary on FreeBSD.  It's
> a link to a wrapper program that substitutes which ever MTA (postfix,
> exim, qmail, sendmail, etc.) you wish to use.
>=20
> It's all explained in the mailwrapper(8) man page.

I've read the man page and says sendmail, purgestat, etc. are supposed =
to be
symlinks to mailwrapper.  In this case, they were discrete files =
differing
in size and content from mailwrapper and those installed by postfix.

I reinstalled usr.bin and usr.sbin from a built world and everything =
works
ok now.  Could this have been the work of some trojan?