Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:52:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        bob@sfcei.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Howto go through MS Proxy

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 bob@sfcei.com wrote:

> I have searched a bit in the archive and could not find an explanation of
> how to get through a Microsloth Proxy from my FreeBSD 4.1 Release box. It
> seems that Socks is available for the FBSD client to use, but when I try to
> access any web page, it tries to download the web page rather than load it
> to the browser. I have tried Netscrape and the KDE browsers.
>
> I seem to recall there was a little commentary a while back. Can someone
> shed a little light on this for me?

I'll try, but it always seems to be hit and miss with MS Proxy. If all you
want to do is surf or ftp, you shouldn't have to mess with Socks; just
point your browser to the IP address of the MS Proxy. If you get an
authentication error message, uncheck the NTCR box in the WWW service of
the ISM and just use anonymous (if the NT administrator will let you do
that). Whether this actually works or not depends on what version of
Service Pack is on the NT server and whether or not they have applied the
Proxy server service pack.

If you want to do anything else through the MS Proxy (e.g. get email, ICQ,
etc.), you'll have to muck about with the Socks service which I can't help
you with as I haven't been that brave yet :)

Dru