Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:47:59 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird story with dump | restore

Hello !

Something is weird with standard dump/restore procedure which I've
always used to relocate my filesystems. I'm using 4.0-19991208-CURRENT
on two machines, one is my home machine with SiS 5591 ATA controller and
the other one has Intel PIIX. Home machine has disk pair Seagate 6.4GB
and IBM 37.5GB, the other one Quantum Fireball 1GB and Fujitsu 3.2GB.
First pair is in standard WDMA2 mode, the other one in PIO as per ata
driver boot messages. Both setups have disks on separate channels, disks
are masters.

Problem:

I'm trying to use dump/restore pair piped together to relocate / and
/usr filesystems to the secondary master disk. In the first case from
Seagate to IBM and second case from Quantum to Fujitsu. Target disks
have innocent filesystems just created. On the home machine with SiS
controller the overall dump/restore process runs smoothly until phase IV
when it will do regular file dumping. Now the process stops regularly
for about 10 seconds, then runs for 4 seconds or so. The process just
runs, stops, runs, stops and so forth. Intervals aren't always same, but
the stopped period is always longer. I dropped to in-kernel debugger and
used ps to view process states. The dump wmesg column showed pipdwt and
sbwait, for restore it's nbufkv. There's five lines for dump overall,
the not mentioned were in wait or pause state.
After viewing ps in debugger I continued the usual run and launced top.
Everything stops while the restore process enters into nbuf?? state,
top can't refresh screen etc, but everything continues after stopped
period so I can see the restore process state changing.

For the record, at last I used pax to relocate the data on the /usr
filesystem and pax showed exactly same behavior. Difference was in
reversed stop/run sequence, runs lasted lot longer than stopped states,
pax even run for ten minutes, then stopped for about 13 seconds.

The wd driver has same behavior, kernel with wd driver has same
configuration as ata one. This claim is only true for SiS 5591 case as
I've not tried yet with other machine.

For other machine everything is same except machine stops completely.
I've tried to disable softupdates on both source and target filesystems
but no difference. All procedures were done in single user mode.

It's very annoying, I have only fair experiences with dump/restore back
to the 2.2.2 days until now.

machine		i386
ident		Vokk
maxusers	32
makeoptions	CONF_CFLAGS=-fno-builtin  #Don't allow use of memcmp, etc.
makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		#Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
options		PQ_NORMALCACHE		# color for 256k/16k cache
cpu		I586_CPU		# aka Pentium Pro(tm)
options 	COMPAT_43
options 	SYSVSHM
options 	SYSVSEM
options 	SYSVMSG
options 	MD5
options 	DDB
options 	DDB_UNATTENDED
options 	INET			#Internet communications protocols
pseudo-device	ether			#Generic Ethernet
pseudo-device	loop			#Network loopback device
pseudo-device	bpf			#Berkeley packet filter
options 	ICMP_BANDLIM
options 	FFS			#Fast filesystem
options 	NFS			#Network File System
options 	CD9660			#ISO 9660 filesystem
options 	PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options 	FFS_ROOT		#FFS usable as root device
options 	SOFTUPDATES
options 	P1003_1B
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options 	_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L
pseudo-device	pty		#Pseudo ttys
pseudo-device	vn		#Vnode driver (turns a file into a device)
pseudo-device	snp	3	#Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/etc..
options 	MSGBUF_SIZE=40960
controller	isa0
controller	atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD
device		atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1
device		vga0	at isa? port ? conflicts
pseudo-device	splash
device		sc0	at isa?
options 	MAXCONS=8		# number of virtual consoles
options 	SC_HISTORY_SIZE=800	# number of history buffer lines
device		npx0	at nexus? port IO_NPX flags 0x0 irq 13
controller	ata0
device		atadisk0	# ATA disk drives
device		atapicd0	# ATAPI CDROM drives
options		ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA
controller	fdc0	at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
controller	miibus0
controller	pci0
device		vr0