Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:30:43 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'kwoody@citytel.net'" <kwoody@citytel.net>
Subject:   Re: Is NE2000 network card OK?

kwoody wrote:

>I'm fairly happy with the ne2000's here at home. I only run 2 machines
>with them (though I do have a 3/60 also hooked up too) so for me
>performence is not really in issue.
>
>Though it might be intesting to see what kind of throughput I do get
from
>this little network. And one can get them to work better by increasing
>the nbccluster in the kernel? (just want an excuse to recompile it
again! :))

>Anything in FBSD that I can use to measure network performence? (aside
>from acutually buying a network monitor)
>
>thanks!
>Keith

I'm happy with my NE2000's too. I did a rough performance test by using
SAMBA. I used the smbclient program to copy a large file from a win95
machine to the FreeBSD machine. This utility tells you the average
throughput when it's done copying. I get around 500kb/sec. Apparently,
this is close to the theoretical maximum for 10baseT.

I suppose _any_ 10baseT card should be able to manage this (they are all
10Mbit/sec), though I suspect the 'slower' cards such as the NE2000 are
slower because they use more CPU overhead due to the increased IRQ rate.
The raw throughput for any 10baseT should be the same (in my opinion).
Can anyone else comment/correct me on this?

Jeff.

Jeffery Bond
<mailto:jeffbond@compuserve.com>
<http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeffbond>;