Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 08:57:54 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        scot@poptart.org (Scot Elliott)
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX routing

> > Remember that the standard FreeBSD IPX code only supports Ethernet_II
> > framing, not any of the others.
> >

> Yeah - that could be a problem - the netware servers use 802.3.  But I
> saw a message in the archives about using sysctrl to change the framing
> on FreeBSD but can't get it to work..  Is this missing from the current
> distributions?  Also, the odd thing is that I can see routing packets
> when I start IPXrouted with the -t option.  Does this mean that these
> packets it's receiving are ethternet-II packets ?  And the final thing

Well if your net is ipx 802.3 only you should not see any IPX packets.
Maybe you/they are running a mixture? If you want to make sure, you
can use tcpdump to have a look at the packets. Ethernet_II packets
have 0x8137 in bytes 12 and 13 (start counting at 0), while 802.3
have the length of the packet in there.

The patch that I posted isn't in FreeBSD because I'm not happy with it.
While it does work, it forces you to have the same type of IPX framing
on all the interfaces of your machine. If you want to use it, you can
probably find it in the mail archives or ask me and I'll send it to
you.

> is that when I configure the two interfaces, they both appear to have
> the same host portion of the address:

> bash-2.00$ ifconfig ep1 ipx 0xb003
> 	lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> 	ep0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> 	        inet 194.207.51.241 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 194.207.78.255
> 	        ipx 1234H.a024763b19
> 	        ether 00:a0:24:76:3b:19
> 	ep1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         	ipx b003.a024763b19
>         	ether 00:60:08:09:13:6d
> 	lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
> 	        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

This looks like you are using "old" code probably FreeBSD 2.2.2 or older?
You should really upgrade to the latest stuff in FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE. A lot
of things in IPX was fixed, including this reuse of the host portion of
the IPX address.

--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za