Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 22:03:55 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        drosih@rpi.edu, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do we still need portmap(8)?

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> In message: <p05111701b9ca84c308c3@[128.113.24.47]>
>             Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> writes:
> : I think most of us realize that we need a solution which can be
> : automatically executed as part of every installworld or mergemaster
> : run.  The debate is over the most reasonable method of doing that.
>
> My suggestion would work, and would be a viable solution, so far the
> only one presented in this whole silly thread.

The mtree.obsolete approach is flawed, in that it's a delta
without an anchor: it's all fine and good to delete things,
when you know that it's a delta from/to.  It's less fine, if
you don't know where you are coming from.

The other problem with an mtree.obsolete is that it assumes
the the upgrade process completes successfully.  This doesn't
mean that it completes without an error in the upgrade process,
it means that the resulting system functions.

The only safe way to do the delete is as part of a binary
upgrade process (if you can't make it reversible, then make
it so the forward process can't fail).

-- Terry