Date:      09 Apr 2002 14:19:17 -0600
From:      Eric Anholt <eanholt@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: drm-kmod + XFree86

You sent me a very similar message on april 6th and I wrote back the
same day.  Did you miss it?

On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 18:05, Paul Murphy wrote:
> The problem:
>
>  1) Apr  6 14:33:44 earth /kernel: error: [drm:r128_cce_indirect] *ERROR*
> process 215 using buffer owned by 0
This is not actually a problem.  It occurs in linux and freebsd, and
basically means that the X server is using a buffer than the kernel
thought was unused.  It doesn't cause any problems besides some log
messages.

>  2) When I exit from a KDE session, the login widget is all screwed up.
> I get a green bar across the top, no background (just black) and the borders
> of the login dialogue are black (non existent?, only the input areas show).
> Restarting the XServer makes it good (until the next logout).
>
>   At first I installed drm-kmod before XFree, but I have since reinstall
XFree and drm-kmod from ports. The problem persists.
The order in which you install doesn't matter.  They are two separate
pieces of software which work together at runtime.

>   If I start XFree without loading the kernel module I get none of the
> above problems (of course Direct Rendering is then disabled).
So if you have load "dri" in your XF86Config you get corruption but
without it you don't?  That wasn't what I understood from your last
message to me.  If so, then that is an issue, and it's one I hadn't seen
yet.  However, something seems strange because you had a previous
message to me about the drm causing Netscape to crash, which is
something that again I hadn't seen or heard from anyone else about.  Is
there anything special about your system, any extra CFLAGS, any modified
things in XFree86/drm-kmod makefiles, etc?

Also, _please_ wrap your messages at 72-80 chars.  And the mailing lists
really don't want all those attachments.