Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:52:55 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        noelt@rani.pworld.net.ph, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel upgrade.

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 01:11:15PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:01:26 +0800, noelt@rani.pworld.net.ph wrote:
>
> > I wanted to upgrade my kernel, where can I get a kernel upgrade?
> > I am using FreeBSD v3.1. I already search the ports at the web and
> > I can't see any upgrade for kernel just like in linux.
>
> Linux is essentially distributed as a kernel plus lots of packages.
> FreeBSD is an entire operating system. It's not a good idea to upgrade
> just the kernel without upgrading the base system as well.
>
> > Follow up  questions, does linux kernel applicable on FreeBSD?
>
> No, not at all. :-)
>
> Have a look at the FreeBSD Handbook's chapter on "The Cutting Edge:
> FreeBSD-current and FreeBSD-stable". Steer clear of FreeBSD-current and
> pay attention to the sections "Staying Stable with FreeBSD",
> "Synchronizing Source Trees over the Internet" and "Using make world to
> rebuild your system".
>
> When it comes time to choose a synchronization method, you'll almost
> certainly want CVSup.

I'd add http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html to
that list, particularly question 12 which details creating checkout
files for your existing sources.

I just CVSup'd src-all for the first time last night (I'd got the
impression somewhere that the d/l would be >100MB. That put me off
for a long time) and it went perfectly. 1 hour 10 mins to build
the checkouts, 33 mins to u/g the sources, and 1 hour 49 mins to
``make buildworld''. All on a K6/233, 64MB, SCSI disks, and a 56K
modem. What a slick way to u/g :)

> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.