Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 21:30:03 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mx0??

Hello!

Thanx for reponse.  However....

> portalfs works, but I've no experienec with it.  umapfs doen't work at the
> moment because it needs stacking layers to work.

Well, I actually asked to explain them to me, not about whether they work
or not :-)

> > 1) I thought that these babies will allow me to have approx the same as
> > /proc under linux, since PROCFS in FBSD yields me _pathetic_ stuff.
> > However, I get /proc/fd dir, with filedescrs (apparently), but there's no
> > FDESC option enabled in GENERIC kernel.  Ideas?
>
> /proc is very adequate in doing what its job is:  displaying information
> specific to individual processes and not system-wide kernel specific stuff.
> The system-wide stuff goes in KERNFS.  Also, I believe that in the Linux 2.3.x
> kernel, /proc has been cleaned up with many parts moved over to /kern where
> they belong. :)

OK.  So why only PROCFS is mounted by default?

> > 2) KERNFS.  Is it behaviour the same as of procfs?  Meaning, I have
> > to have a /proc (/kern) and apporpriate line in /etc/fstab, and I cannot
> > mount it after boot?  (are my last 3 questions correct?)
>
> You can mount it fine after boot, in fact, you can umount and mount procfs as
> well, there's just no good reason to be doing so.  Here's my line from
> /etc/fstab:
>
> kern                    /kern           kernfs  rw              0       0

I've got the same ;-)

And you know what's cool.  I can mount/umount /proc many times!  Why
shouldn't that be checked?  Same with /kern....

> As far as fdescfs, it is already "mounted" for you at /dev/fd.  If you want,
> you can mount it somewhere else as well.  AFAIK, it works fine.

Hmm, I know it's alreay mounted.  But where is corresponfing line in
fstab?

Cheers,

./danfe