Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:01:51 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPPOE: very slow and 50% packet loss

I have a DSL connection which is using PPPOE.  It's very slow, even when
downloading from a box just one hop away.  For example, I downloaded a
26MB file at a speed of 12.53kB/s.  During the download, if I pinged a box
1 hop away, I got 53% packet loss...

I'm guessing this could be a poor line (i.e. the DSL line).  Or could it
be related to my PPPoE configuration?

note: my mtu/mru are both 1452.  I have tried mru 1500, which ppp resets
to 1492.  My DSL provider indicates mtu must be 1452.  I'ved tried higher
values, without success.[1]

Any suggestions apart from leaving it to my DSL provider to figure out?
Could this be a a configuration issue?

ifconfig, ppp.conf, etc, at http://www.freebsddiary.org/tmp/pppoe.txt

[1] - well partial success.  the connection exhibits the same problems as
characterized at http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/pppoe.html#pmtu (e.g.
can access some websites, but not others).
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples