Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:49:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Jeffers <jeffers@redrose.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing problems

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, David Jeffers wrote:

> Here's my printcap entry -
>
> lp|cdj500|ps|local Deskjet printer:\
> 	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:sh:mx#0:\
> 	:if=/usr/local/libexec/lpfilter:
>
> With ghostscript-5.10 installed, postscript printing fails. I'm using
> an HP660c desk jet. Also tried enscript which I use on another machine
> with same result -the postscript code file is printed instead of
> the file sent to the printer.

What's in lpfilter?  If it's the one below you're trying to double-print
the file.  Input filters expect input on stdin and the stuff to send to
the printer on stdout.

I use this script:

#!/bin/sh
#
# PostScript to DeskJet 500 mono
/usr/local/bin/gs -q -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=deskjet -sOutputFile=- -

My printcap entry is so:

ps|DeskJet 540 PostScript:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ps:\