Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 12:18:15 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

In the last episode (Nov 09), Steve Kargl said:
> According to Thomas David Rivers:
> > We've been here before.  The consensus - after considerable debate
> > - was to not make such a change.
>
> It was only a pro-active suggestion.  I was unaware of previous debate.
>
> > The problem is that several automated processes - particularly WEB
> > related - use uname to determine what kind of machines they are
> > running on.  If we return "Linux" - then we inflate the linux
> > numbers at the cost of our own.
>
> It's better to infate the linux numbers, than to cut-off one's only
> means to run certain software.  For example, there are no open source
> Fortran 90 compilers.  You must purchase a commerical F90 compiler
> and run it under linux emulation.

On the other hand, there are no good open source COBOL compilers.  We
run Microfocus COBOL under SCO emulation.  I vote we change FreeBSD's
uname to return "SCO_SV".  Wait.  I'm also running the BSD/OS Quake
server.  I vote we change FreeBSD's uname to return "BSD/OS".  Wait.
See a problem here? :)

> Been there.  PGI has no intention at this time to support FreeBSD
> because they do not have sufficient tech. support for FreeBSD.

ditto MicroFocus.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com