Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 11:49:41 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ad2s1e: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn...

[this rather belongs to -questions : CC modified]

your error messages are most likely due a mis-adaptation between your
cable (all the more so if you have a bent pin on one of connectors), the
capabilities of your chipset (is it a Via ....) and a perhaps buggy IDE
disk (for example, IBM IDE disk drives of the GX60 family are buggy)

	TfH

PS : you may want to post also your dmesg file
PS2 : it is possible to downgrade the access speed of the IDE hard disk
via the hw.atamodes sysctl in the /boot/loader.conf file (here is my
config : dma,---,dma,---,dma,---,---,---, you can replace the keyword
"dma" with "pio")

Erik Rothwell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've recently added a new 40GB disk to my existing FreeBSD system... It's
> been less than flawless ;) When I first went to fdisk / disklabel the new
> drive, I got an error stating that the drive geometry was improper... I
> let /stand/sysinstall pick its own more suitable geometry and proceeded
> to newfs the drive, etc. etc. Everything seems all well and good-- the new
> drive mounted to /data... however, when I did a few tests moving data to
> the new drive I get a *lot* of the following:
>
> ad2s1e: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 400447 of 200192-200447 (ad2s1
> bn 400447; cn 397 tn 4 sn 19) retrying

[SNIP]

--
Thierry Herbelot