Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2018 01:59:08 +0300
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: How to boot from GPT partition without "bootme" attribute?

Hello Mark,

Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 12:38:07 AM, you wrote:

>>  After that loader, loaded from p2, loads kernel from p3 and boots
>> system from p3!
> Are the kernel's on p2 and p3 distinct in an identifiable way?
> Can you be sure it was not a mix of the p2 kernel and p3 world
> that booted? I ask because . . .
  Maybe, it is kernel from p2 and userland from p3, but anyway, it is not
 what I want to achieve. I'll add other kernel IDENT for other partition for
 check, but I'm sure, that p3 is moutned as /. I have different /etc/fstab
 on different partitions, of course. If kernel on "bootme" GPT partition
 will be faulty, it will be disaster, as gptboot could not (or I can not
 find how to) switch "bootme" attribute of GPT partition.

  I want to migrate my NanoBSD images from MBR to GPT, but I can not find
 way to easily boot from "previous" partition when "new" one is messed up.

> Any chance that that /etc/fstab initially used points
> to p3's world for / ?
  /etc/fstab on p2 points to p2, and /etc/fstab on p3 points to p3, I'm sure.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev@FreeBSD.org