Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:20:45 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   More plugin info

I am (so( tired of banging my head against the wall chasing down stupid
loader bugs...

The reason that the plugin does not work (or at least the *latest*
reason the plugin does not work) is due to the fact that Motif does not
initialize itself properly if it is dynamically loaded at runtime.
Motif relies on magically hitching a ride on Xt runtime hooks.  If Xt
gets loaded *before* motif, then the motif hooks do not operate
correctly.  the basic problem is that when native.c creates the outer
window shell, the motif hooks have to be in place for motif to properly
initialize XmDisplay and set up the various context hooks that it needs
in order to operate...

What a farce.  Motif is a superb piece of **** (fill in your favorite
four-letter word).  Even when you just deal with it in a so-called
normal program, it is a PITA to deal with, compared to straight X Window
calls.  I hope that the Sun folks get rid of this motif stuff ASAP.

Anyway, the fix is to make sure that Xm is loaded before Xt, meaning
that it has to be listed on the load libraries for java_vm.  Greg, just
put -lXm before -lXt in the PLATFORM_LIBS variable in the plugin
GNUmakefile...

Once that happens, the window creation operates correctly.  The next
step, the plugin fails toue to some other unknown bug, but at least I
have not gotten beyond the stupid motif errors.

So far, I have fixed exactly one coding bug.  (the stupid pid bug
mentioned yesterday).  Everything else related to the plugin that I have
discovered has to do with the dynamic loader in some form or another...

/Joe