Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:57:38 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This just in: Microsoft/Sears Merger

At 10:38 AM 12/29/98 -0600, Kris Kirby wrote:
>Drew Baxter wrote:
>> If you can get 85+% of the software on the market to work on FreeBSD, and
>> support my Voodoo2 card, I'll switch..
>
>If you must, boot Windows. That's what I've been doing. For some odd
>reason, Windows seems to be one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix
>it" situations. At least thats been my experience. Oh, don't get me
>started on networking Windows. :-)

Well see, we have a topology of windows machines here.. That's just how it
is.  In my house there's 6 machines alone, then bridged from OneEX/Bangor
to OneEX/OCSNet, and there's another 30 there.  One of the objectives of
the house network is gaming, as well as printing and mp3, and other file
sharing.  I also test products for Intel, and a few other companies, most
of which say "Windows 95 or better" for requirements.

>Course, when you go from vid_mode 0 to vid_mode 12 (320x200 to 640x480
>for you non-Quake people) then to GL... (For non-Quake people: 640x480
>3D rendered.) I have a Voodoo2, but I'm not holding my breath. <HINT> It
>would be real nice if Luigi's driver had no audio delay and had mmap()
>support. </HINT>

I ger 48.1 fps at 640x480 in GLQuake.. Not bad.. Canopus Pure 3dII
Overclocked (They gave me a fan with it, figured I might as well try to
wreck the board). I'd imagine it'd perform a tad better if it wasn't
running Windows, but too lazy to take the trek and install X on the machine
down there to find out.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D