Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2013 20:34:46 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        jb <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FB 9.1 boot loader problem in VirtualBox

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 19:02:43 +0000 (UTC), jb wrote:
> Right, but the wordings are unfortunate and counterintuitive/misleading:
>
> 'Machine-Close-Send shutdown' means to 'shutdown -p now' (equivalent to
> 'poweroff') of Guest, followed by unforced "Close" of VM.
>
> 'Machine-Close-Power off' means "Kill VM' without regard of the Guest - but
> the "Power off" in its name may make user believe that there is "Poweroff"
> (orderly shutdown, poweroff) involved as part of the process.
>
> It would be better, in my opinion, if these options were called
> "Machine-Close-Shutdown-Guest"
> "Machine-Close-Kill-Guest"
>
> No margin for error/misunderstanding.

A need for this interpretation may arise for those who did
not do computing in the pre-ATX era (at least in the PC sector).
Power off means _power off_, typically AC power off, a switch
that would disconnect the mains source, so there is no way for
the OS to shut anything down.

On an AT PC, there was no real way to tell the OS to perform
a shutdown, so "shutdown -h" would be the equivalent command
to be issued by the operator, followed by "mechanically"
switching the machine off. A command like "shutdown -p"
combined both things when ATX (with APM, later with ACPI)
became common.

Similarly, "emergency power off" would carry this meaning:
stop the machine at all costs NOW. A different term, "delayed
power off", was common on machines to allow the OS to perform
the proper shutdown steps and _then_ power the machine off,
but it's not common anymore.

However, your transition of this knowledge to the terminology
to be used in combination with _virtual_ machines makes sense.
Maybe that wording is really not optimal. "Kill guest" matches
today's understanding, but could possibly be formed better in
regards of future use (like the power off vs. shutdown difference
that was totally clear in the 1990's, but maybe isn't as clear
anymore today).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany