Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2013 14:40:08 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Randall Stewart <rrs@lakerest.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Default route changes unexpectedly

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Randall Stewart <rrs@lakerest.net> wrote:
> Ok
>
> I too have been struck by this *multiple* times on my base home router.

I hate "me too" style posts, since often they conflate unrelated
issues - however, "me too"!

In my scenario, I have a simple home router with a wan if connected to
an ADSL modem, an internal if connected to a pretty ordinary switch
and the rest of the home network, using pf to NAT the connection
(pretty basic stuff).

Infrequently, I can no longer connect to or ping the router from
internal connections, and have to grab a console, restart netif and
routing, and everything then works again.

However, I also have an openvpn connection to work running on the
router. Work seem to believe that the reason there are 3 huge private
network ranges is so that they can use the 10/8 block for DC
infrastructure, the 172.16/12 block for offices and the 192.168/16 bit
block for VPNs. Until now, I had been assuming - without any proof -
that everything works great until openvpn gets told that 192.168.1/8
should be routed down the VPN, at which point everything local is
inaccessible.

Is there something useful I can look at when this next occurs that
would explain why or how it is wedged, so that I can either rule
myself in or out of this case?

Cheers

Tom