Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:29:43 +1000
From:      Andrew <mynet@uq.net.au>
To:        Mark Bannar-Martin <mbannar-martin@pearson-college.uwc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual CPU hardware Newbie question

Probably the best and most innovative reasonably priced dual cpu Mb on the
market would have to be the Abit BP6.
http://www.abit.com.tw/english/product/bp6.htm

Using this MB you could run dual Celeron 466's or even 400's
and still have plenty of money to spend on HDD's.

As for the HDD's if you have a VERY busy file server with
lots of concurrent reading and writing then SCSI is the fastest
and most reliable. For most applications though IDE can be just
as good and allot cheaper. If you do go IDE however make sure
you choose good quality IDE drives from makers such as IBM.

Also with ide drives its often a good idea to get a cheap large ide
drive as a backup drive. One such drive is the Quantum CX 18 gig.

Im not sure what you consider a "small network" but you would probably
find a celeron 366 with 128meg of ram and a good hard drive MORE
than sufficient for your needs. If you wanted to you could spend the extra
money on a backup machine.

There is no point at all going to a P2 or P3 as they are not really any
faster and much more expensive. Another good choice is the AMD K6 series.

Cheers

Andrew