Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 13:08:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        marpat@kmtnet.com (Mark Patterson)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, linuxisp@lightning.com
Subject:   Re: T1 offc. resell config

> Hi Folks,
>
> Looking for suggestions on how i might handle the following:
> We're considering having a full T1 dropped into a 13-story office building.
> Serveral of the tennents have expressed interest in getting access from us
> already.  So we want to sell portions (fractionalize?) our T1 _within_
> the office bldg.  Outside the building a little later ;-)
>
> Initially, what's the *least* expensive way to go about this?  We only have
> an initial budget of $10k. More if we can show a profit to the investors.

You have a "simple" problem but people usually try to look at "simple"
problems as complex problems.  :-)  I do this kind of stuff regularly
and it's quite easy when you sit back and think about it.

(I personally am _firmly_ convinced that _each_ individual customer
should have their own router/firewall, their expense not yours, their
premises not yours, and will describe it as such, but one is not
technically required to do this.)

Set each customer up with a minimalistic Ether/Ether router and firewall.
I have been extremely successful with 386DX/40's with 8MB RAM and 2 NE2000
network cards.  They will not saturate an Ethernet but WILL handle T1 data
rates pretty well.  Since this should be a customer firewall, it should run
at the customer's site.

One Ether is the customer-net, one is the link-net.

Run the link-net back to your POP in the building.

Your POP can probably be:

PCI 486DX/133, 16MB RAM
ET/5025 T1 card
As many 4-port Znyx 314 cards as you need (you can get 12 or 16 ports on
most PCI machines).

This box then simply becomes a mega-router.  If you want to limit bandwidth
on a per client basis, use ET's bandwidth limiter product.

(I've done something similar with an 8-slot ISA MB in the past, loaded it up
with six (yes, six) SMC cards...  quite impressive but not highly
recommended these days now that better solns are available.)

Since you should make the customers pick up the cost of their firewall (or
you can charge it to them as an "installation fee"), I suspect that you
can build this for less than HALF of the $10K you are talking about.

You can, instead, run their networks to your POP, but if you have to do
firewalling or other hand holding for them, it becomes a major burden on
you.  It is much easier to do it on their site, and it simplifies the
configuration of your in-building POP.

... JG