Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 18:09:24 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <daniel.sobral@tcoip.com.br>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   TCP windows and vlans?

I'm observing the following problem: in a TCP connection between host F3
and any other host, the connection will stop when the TCP window first
drops below the average packet length. The only thing that sets F3 apart
is the fact that any connection to it is done through a vlan interface.

I have put tcpdump log on http://people.freebsd.org/~dcs/f3.log showing
the problem. Host 172.31.199.19 is F3. I ssh'ed into it, cat'ed a file a
couple of times, and, when it finally blocked, I ping'ed it. I then
typed ^C a few times (just to send characters to the other side) from
the client, ping'ed again, and then let the connection be resetted for
timeout.

There is one extraneous connection as I ssh'ed into it to get
http://people.freebsd.org/~dcs/netstat.log, showing that the send buffer
  on the server side (F3) is full of stuff.

Now... I cannot see how could vlans possibly interfere with the tcp
stack. Any hints anyone?

I can provide whatever logs and dumps you wish from the client side, but
since I cannot copy any sizeably log from F3 itself...

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Daniel.Sobral@tcoip.com.br

A little humility is arrogance.