Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 14:03:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Eli Burke <eburke@dimension.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   an addition for the FAQ/handbook

You have, in a section of the FAQ on compiling the kernel, the
following text:
	Note: If there is not a /usr/src/sys directory on your system,
	then the kernel source has not been been installed. Follow the
	instructions for installing packages to add this package to your
	system.

This would seem to indicate that there is a FAQ on installing "packages"
but I could not find one. In fact I looked all over the place, and
finally had to ask someone. Once he mentioned install.sh, and I looked
at the script, it was immediately obvious what needed to be done.

However, the only place I could find install.sh mentioned in the FAQ
was in section 2.19 [Do I need to install the complete sources?]:
	To actually select a subset of the sources, use the Custom menu
	item when you are in the Distributions menu of the system
	installation tool. The src/install.sh script will also install
	partial pieces of the source distribution, depending on the
	arguments you pass it.

I'd like to suggest that you add a seperate FAQ, something along the
lines of "After Installation, How do I install packages without sysinstall"
and then give a better explanation of what to do. (ie run install.sh
for a list of available packages, then install.sh <package name>)
Heck.. an explanation of what each one is would be nice.

Other than this minor beef, you've done a great job. All of you. Whoever
you are. :)

--
Eli Burke
eburke@dimension.net