Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 20:52:54 +0100
From:      phk@freebsd.org
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wrong date for DEVFS entries

In message <20030205194509.GA661@nagual.pp.ru>, "Andrey A. Chernov" writes:
>Look at the snapshot below, taken right after boot time. Most entries are
>at "Feb 5 22:34" which is boot time, but some other are "Feb 6 01:34"
>which is in the future! It looks like TZ offset added for them by mistake.
>Please fix this bug.

My guess:  Your RTC has the wrong time and ntpdate or similar stepped
your clock to be correct.

There is nothing in DEVFS which knows about timezones, but there is
code to set the initial time to the estimated boottime.

If your system comes up, takes wrong time from RTC, the dev entries
will get this wrong time before the system gets a chance to set it
right across the network.

Originally, the timestamps in DEVFS started out as zero, ie:
19700101000000 (moduls timezone) but people didn't like that and the
abovementioned code was introduced.