Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:34:45 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: it's time...

> : Correct, but the nature of the kernel probe/attach messages is to convey
> : information in a readable, consistent, useful manner.
>
> Agreed.  However, what's magical about 80 columns?

What's magical is that almost every text console is limited to 80
columns (think serial console), as well as the standard default size for
terminal emulators is 80 columns.

  My editors go out
> to 180 sometimes.  The console can easily be placed into a mode where
> it is > 80.  This is especially true for the serial console where it
> might be connected to a 132 column printer.

Just because it *can* be connected to a 132 column printer doesn't mean
it *will* be connected.  Most printers that I use are 80 columns wide.
Heck, almost *every* printer I use is that wide, hence the whole 80
column thing.

The most common case for a console is an 80 column wide console (this is
the default for the virtual terminals, most printers, most text
terminals, etc..)

Changing it is silly, and non-standard.

> No!  At some point they should use a facility similar to solaris/sysv
> where they don't display, but do make it into the dmesg buffer...

On my Solaris box, they are displayed at boot time.

Nate