Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:05:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Ewout Vonk <ewout@azur.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with 'dd', my cdrom/rw and wormcontrol on FBSD 4.1

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Ewout Vonk wrote:

> I am having some trouble with my Aopen CDROM and HP 7200i CD-RW.. When I
> try to make an exact copy of a cd using:
>
> dd if=/dev/acd0c of=cd.img and
> dd if=/dev/acd1c of=cd.img
>
> It gives the error: 'dd: /dev/acd0c: Bad Address' and
> it gives the error: 'dd: /dev/acd1c: Bad Address'

Try a different block size (and better to use the raw device), like:
  dd if=/dev/racd0c of=cd.img bs=8k

...my CD-ROM seems to need a block size of at least 2k.

> When I run:
>
> 'wormcontrol prepdisk double' or 'wormcontrol prepdisk single'
> having done 'ln -s /dev/acd0c /dev/rworm0'
> It gives the error:
>
> 'wormcontrol: ioctl(WORMIOCPREPDISK): Inappropriate ioctl for device'
>
> On FreeBSD 3.3 it used to work, just as with the dd command..

I don't know about this (I don't use wormcontrol) but I wouldn't be
mixing character devices (those with the "r") with block devices
(those without the "r")...

The only advide I would suggest here (if it helps at all) is:
   ln -sf /dev/racd0c /dev/rworm0
   ln -sf /dev/acd0c /dev/worm0

But like I said, I don't use wormcontrol...

-Paul.