Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:50:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        bts@babbleon.org (Brian T. Schellenberger)
Cc:        dnelson@allantgroup.com (Dan Nelson), bill@techservsys.com (bill), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help a poor refuge from SCO UNIX (SysV)

> On Tuesday 20 August 2002 11:03 am, Dan Nelson wrote:
> | > |

> | > ps -ax
> | >
> | > (a = all users; x = without ttys).
> |
> | Note: some systems will process both BSD and SYSV ps arguments,
> | depending on whether you start with a dash.  To be safe, always leave
> | the dash off when using BSD flags.  "ps ax".
>
> Hmmm . . . but the FreeBSD man page documents using the dash for the BSD
> options.  It always makes mea  little nervous to deliberately depart from the
> man page.

Use it the way the man page says.  I don't understand that previous
statement being so generalized or universally made.  In my experience
using the minus almost always works except for a couple of things and
there seem to be plenty that are unfriendly without it.

As for ps, check the man page.
I have gotten in to the habit of typing  'ps -auxw'  for almost
everything.   In fact I made an alias I call 'psg' that is
    alias "psg ps -auxww | grep "
to search for stuff.
Saves a lot of typing.

////jerry