Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 14:59:25 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Lint^^ <lint@satan.dyn.reject.org>
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, kstewart@3-cities.com, cjm2@earthling.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make: don't know how to make dwarf1.c. Stop

> Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:04:34 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Lint^^ <lint@satan.dyn.reject.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> the old standard method is working fine for me... i would also like to
> know if one method is `better' than the other, as i have no problem
> sticking with the old method...

As I understand things, the idea is that the "old" method of
explicitly issuing a config command and then doing makes in the
compile directory should work fine EXCEPT after a buildworld. The
reason is that that method builds the kernel using the currently
installed files, not the new objects just built. The kernel, even if
it builds, is going to be out of sync with the system as soon as you
"make installworld".

OTOH, "make buildkernel KERNEL=name" and "make installkernel KERNEL=name"
in /usr/src will build the kernel from the newly built, but not yet
installed objects and the sources in the source tree. This means that
you are booting the new kernel "single user" to install the new system
and everything stays in sync.

1. Does that make sense?
2. Is it correct?

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer