Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 18:03:59 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soundcards recommendations?

Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> We a bunch of workstations with the fairly new intel bx-2 motherboard.
> It has on-board audio, but it seems documentation on this chipset
> (Yamaha...) is not published, and hence there's no driver for any of the
> free systems... So, I have to shop some sound cards for these machines.
>
> I need nothing fancy, and someone presented me with a heap PCI card,
> Sonic Impact from Diamond... 'device pcm0' (no extra parameters) doesn't
> work, and I seem to remember Diamond having a bad reputation in the open
> source community.
>
> What I need are recommendations on good, cheap sound cards that work
> with FreeBSD (or info on how to get the on-board chipset to work :-).

Read /sys/i386/isa/snd/CARDS.

If you don't want to play with MIDI, then buy a CS423x-based card.
I have the Genius SoundMaker 3DX2, and the AcerOpen AW37. Both are
based on the CS4235 and work very well.

I have a small set of patches for the CS4235-based cards which
improve the functionality of the Luigi's pcm driver. I could send
them to you if you want.

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@es.FreeBSD.ORG
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071