Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:52:28 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panic on attempt to kern_stat / mount bad fs

Trying to use more of my harddisk, I formatted 2 labels I previously
fdisked on my machine (note that there wasn't a modification in MBRs
or slices, just partitions).

Later on, I was recompiling my kernel and world recently and my
machine took a nose dive (panicked) partway through. The machine
rebooted by itself (to my surprise) and subsequently panicked again
attempting to mount one of the newly formatted filesystems.

I quickly logged in locally, removed the 1/2 filesystems from my fstab
automount list and rebooted yet again. After that, and once I removed
background_fsck_enable=YES from rc.conf, everything appears to be
smooth sailing (knock on wood).

I have 2 vmcore's that I can debug with: one from the first panic and
another from the 2nd panic.

(I had to rebuild the kernel after I removed apcupsd as I have a USB
kbd and apcupsd provides uhid -- well, sort of...).

optimus# uname -a
FreeBSD optimus 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #14: Sun Apr 27
17:09:22 PDT 2008     root@optimus:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OPTIMUS  i386

I'll provide more info when requested.

Thanks,
-Garrett