Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 18:15:35 +0100
From:      Reidar Bratsberg <reidar@ravn.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Locale: LC_COLLATE error?

I'm baffled, trying to understand the Locale for FreeBSD
2.2.7-RELEASE. It seems there's an error with LC_COLLATE
as (in my case) Norwegian characters won't sort/compare
correctly.

My /usr/share/locale/no_NO.ISO_8859-1/ shows:

LC_COLLATE -> ../lt_LN.ISO_8859-1/LC_COLLATE
LC_CTYPE -> ../lt_LN.ISO_8859-1/LC_CTYPE
LC_TIME

This is from the standard distribution.

My perl test script to check this is (just using Perl for
testing, it's the same result in other programs):

    #!/usr/bin/perl

    use POSIX qw(locale_h);

    setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "no_NO.ISO_8859-1");
    setlocale(LC_COLLATE, "no_NO.ISO_8859-1");

    @a = ('å', 'a', 'æ', 'e', 'ø');

    print sort(@a), "\n";

This returns "aeåæø", which should be "aeæøå".

Now, I've been trying to generate my own LC_COLLATE from
a standard "source document" from the Norwegian standard
commission. For this, I understand, localedef should be
used. Localedef however, is only available from the GNU
clib, and compiling/installing that is more than I really
want to cope with now :-).

Why the links the lt_LN.ISO_8859-1?

Any ideas? Or if someone has a working LC_CTYPE, LC_COLLATE
for Norwegian, I would appreciate it.

Best,
Reidar

--