Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:51:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Daniel <john@cell-works.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xfree86

i am cuurently setting up xwindows but I all th e documentation for it I
haven't been able to find a discription of what the variuos failures are
and what they look like. I'm working on a tyan 1668 dual ppro MB wit a
matrox millenium 2mb with a additional 2mb daughter card. But I haven't
been able to get it to work well. Either startx doesn't work or it works
but the whole screen is covered with vertical lines.

the box is 2.2.8 ( I like it better then 3.x.x ). the xfree86 is what ever
came with the distribution. I'm just not sure what the vertical lines are
indicative of so it hard to figure out what settings I need to fix.

I'm also wondering if i should do a reinstall of xfree86. By the way how
do you check to figure out what version your using of the packages your
installing? or Have installed?

"I hope that after I die, people will say of me : " That guy sure owed me
a lot of money."

-JH