Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 10:48:34 -0400
From:      Spamoff <Spambait@tampabay.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Packages - how do you use therm

Hello Alejandro...thanks for the reply !!!

Alejandro Ramírez wrote:

> Hi
>
>     You should do "pkg_add -v <pkgname>" to see were the binary goes, and
> what is the name of the binary you should run, and then you may want to do
> "man <pkgname>".

Good lead !!  pkg_add -v didn't work but pkg_info -v did   :)

Thanks a whole bunch !!!   That's got me moving forward.

>     I prefer using ports because, they are compiled in your hardware and in
> your software configuration, so any program should run smoother if its
> compiled in the computer that must be run.
>
> Ales

Great, I'm going to abandon the packages and go for the ports.

I'll pkg_delete (or perhap's use the /stand/sysinstall) to get rid of all the
packages I put in. I want to install netscape, gimp, mc, qmail and Ezmlm so
that should keep me busy for a while   :)

Stand by for more inane questions  :)

Regards...Martin